Thursday, February 8, 2007

print "Hello Cousins"

Welcome to No Kings Attached. This blog is part of my ever more distributed and ever less frequent online presence It is intended to be a space for thoughts on my own genealogy, as opposed to thoughts on the juncture of kinship, migration, identity, genetics, social history, and genealogical construction, which go at The Radical Genealogist, random and personal entries at my Livejournal, a few individual and group blog projects (genealogy/migration related and not), Flickr, Facebook, and more.

I figure it's easier to write things here and point particular relevant family members along to the posts than to try and create websites or book projects centered around the particular parts of the global family tree that are particularly near to us. There would have to be countless such websites, as I'm not just interested in one or two of "my" lines, or even just interested in "my own" lines at all. In addition, a blog will be frequently indexed by Google, searchable, and therefore findable by third or fifth or fiftieth cousins looking for names. I've had good experiences finding and sharing information on boards, and there's no reason why a blog cannot add to the overall amount of searchable and sharable data.

As soon as I bother to put my mountains of data into a GEDCOM, I'll edit this post to include a link to my PhpGedView database. Also by that time I will have transfered it to a server that doesn't break the PHP it doesn't like and then redirect me to the free hosting service's pages.

No comments: